Our next meeting of the Yoga Sutra Discussion Group will be on Sunday, June 28th at 11:00am. The next reading is of the next three Yoga Sutras that introduce the concept of karma.
- Sutra II.12 : The accumulated imprints of past lives, rooted in afflictions, will be experienced in present and future lives.
- Sutra II.13 : As long as the root of action exists, it will give rise to class of birth, span of life and experiences
- Sutra II.14 : According to our good, bad, or mixed actions, the quality of our life, its span, and the nature of birth are experienced as being pleasant or painful.
Karma can be a tricky concept sometimes, however I think we tend to simplify our understanding of it. It is not a prerequisite to yoga to believe in reincarnation. Our actions here and now have consequences in this life. To become aware of the concept of action, reaction, and consequence through the lens of yoga allows us to live a more stable, productive, and forward moving life no matter what comes after.
Contemplations for Discussion:
- Can you acknowledge or pinpoint habits, afflictions, or patterns in your life creating a vicious cycle? Even generational and historical ways of thinking and doing and reacting that continue to show up? Are there ways you might try to change or dismantle those seemingly “set-in-stone” patterns?
- How responsible do you feel you are for your own reactions and feelings – good or bad ?
- What would an example of a “good”, “bad”, or “mixed” action be?
- Have you found that the practice of yoga has brought to light any habits of action and reaction for you? Any surprising or unexpected consequences that have made noticeable shifts in your life?
As always, I look forward to the study and discussion! Hope to see you then!